500 Year Walk About
I was deeply struck by the words of our own national hero, Dr. Jose Rizal when he said,
"He who does not know how to look back at where he came from will never get to his destination."
Those words made an inkling into my heart, thus made me ask myself these questions:
- Why are we not so interested in visiting and knowing of our own Cultural Heritage?
- Why are those not our priorities in terms of advancement and development?
- Why are there more different nationalities eager to learn our history than our fellow countrymen.. it is very ironic.
- Why do I see a non-Filipino giving a tour to their fellow countrymen, telling our history in their own version? Isn't it odd to see them leading the tour?
3. Compania Maritima Building is the residue and a proof of the early trading system of the Cebuanos and the Chinese. It was the center of trading in the olden times and even the first building with an elevator at that time.
Candles for sale at Magellan's Cross
|The woman we bought the candles from prayed for us through a dance|
|This is where masses are held daily at Basilica del Santo Niño|
|Basilica del Santo Niño|
5. Cebu Metropolitan Cathedral is one of the first churches in the Philippines. It is where the Jubilee door is found. The door on the left portion of the cathedral signifies the passage from sin to grace. It will only be opened every 25 years.